York has an incredible number of events and festivals all year round, including:
- York Residents’ Festival – January
- JORVIK Viking Festival – February
- York Literature Festival – March
- York Fashion Week – March
- York Easter Family Festival – March/April
- York Open Studios – April
- Racing Festivals – May – October
- Eboracum Roman Festival – June
- York Festival of Ideas – June
- York Pride – June
- The Great Yorkshire Fringe – July
- Bloom! – July
- Early Music Festival – July/December
- York Ballon Fiesta – September
- York Food and Drink Festival – September
- Aesthetica Short Film Festival – November
- York Christmas Festival including the St Nicholas Fair – November/December
Fossgate, one of York’s best foodie strips has a fabulous street festival, taking place on various weekends from May through to September. It’s growing in popularity and hosts some amazing emerging local musicians, offers a great range of street food and just has a great vibe about it.
Don’t miss an opportunity though to join in the fun at one of the smaller events such as The Micklegate Run Soapbox Challenge normally held on the last bank holiday in August. Another of our favourites is the ice sculpture trail normally held around the 10th of December. It’s the biggest ice trail in The UK. You can pick up an ice trail map from Visit York tourism office on Museum Street. In 2017, there were 45 ice sculptures to discover.
There are also some incredibly worthwhile events raising money for charity such as A Night to Remember, a concert raising awareness and money for dementia, cancer and some smaller local charities. Held around March each year, local artists perform for free and it’s a fantastic line-up. Tickets are generally between £9 – £17.
It’s worth browsing Visit York’s events calendar so you can see what’s on when you plan to visit.